Elder Abuse May Involve Physical Or Financial Abuse

When some people hear the term "elder abuse," they think of physical or emotional abuse, often by a care provider. They may think it only happens in a nursing home or a long-term care facility.

What they often fail to realize is that while physical abuse does occur, financial abuse can also be serious. Left unchecked, financial abuse can drain a person's lifetime of savings within a short period. In either of these situations, a lawyer can be crucial in holding these parties accountable and seeking appropriate compensation. Our attorney at Ruth Smith Law Firm provides experienced representation for family members in cases involving all types of elder abuse.

Is It A "Trusted" Family Member Or Friend?

Elder abuse typically occurs in the intimate setting of a home or care facility. Sometimes it is a caregiver at a nursing home or someone who comes into their home to provide services. But it also can be a family member, a child, niece or nephew, who gains the elderly individual's trust. It may begin innocently, helping out paying bills or writing checks. Then it progresses to where this person begins to purchase items for themselves or helps themselves to cash.

They may be a child who feels "stuck" with caregiving duties and they begin to feel they have a "right" to this money. Other children may be shocked to learn that Mom's bank accounts have been emptied, that Dad has unpaid bills or that checks have begun to bounce.

Checks And Balances

To prevent this from happening, the family should have meetings with a parent to discuss the handling of their finances. This can be a difficult conversation, as the role of parent and child reverses, but it can ensure that more than one family member review's their parents' financial activity. Having this type of "check" on the checks can reduce the temptation of anyone to take advantage of the situation.

Signs Of Physical Abuse

Elder abuse can involve physical abuse. Whether at home or in a care facility, you should regularly visit your parents and carefully observe their physical and mental condition. Do they have unexplained bruises or are they suddenly less alert and less responsive? If so, you should demand answers from the staff and administrators of the facility. We can help with the questions you should ask and what evidence to look for.

Don't Delay, Find Out How We Can Help Today!

If your parent or grandparent has suffered abuse, you want to help. Discussing your situation with an elder abuse attorney is a good start. Abuse can take many forms and we can help you identify abusive relationships and work to stop it from happening.

Call today for a free initial consultation at 828-782-3832, or use our convenient online form and Ruth will get in touch with you. From her office in Asheville, she serves clients across North Carolina and South Carolina.

Each case is different. Many factors such as the severity of injuries, ability to prove liability, amount of liability insurance coverage, jurisdiction, medical expenses, and many other factors can determine the outcome of a particular case. You should not use these examples as a representation of what recovery you will obtain in your particular case, as every case is unique. Ruth Smith does not guarantee that the outcome of your case will be similar to the results listed above.